A few weeks ago Zach and I were looking around at a store and Zach suggested that instead of buying Toby a stocking I should make one. I thought the idea was crazy then and I still do now, but after receiving a sewing machine for my birthday it made a lot more sense. So I decided to try it out. At first I tried to make my own pattern using the stockings we already had as a pattern. I can't believe I tried this considering I haven't sewed anything in six or seven years. I didn't really like the finished product but it did help me refresh my sewing skills and get used to my new machine. My sewing machine is awesome. First of all it has this little switch you use to put the thread through the needle, then you don't even have to use the pedal. There is a stop/start button that you push to get going, and there is a speed control. So I can just find the right speed for what I am doing - slow for the hard stuff and fast for those straight edges. Some people might not like this, but I always had a bad habit of pushing the pedal harder when I was getting stressed out and having a hard time. Now I can just pick a slower speed and the machine keeps it that way.
After my first attempt I decided that I needed a pattern to go off of. So I picked up a pattern and some fabric on Monday night. Yesterday during Toby's naps and then when Zach got home I made Toby's stocking. It took me a little longer than it probably should have because I was nervous after messing up the first time and was trying to be extra careful. The finished product turned out awesome and I can't wait to sew more things although I have no idea what to make next.
I love it! It really looks great!
ReplyDeleteP.S. We're so excited to see you on Saturday!
One day will you teach me how to sew? Maybe over the summer I can go to "Emily School". What do you think?
ReplyDeleteit looks so cute! we are going to do a craft group either this week or next. i think the plan is to bring any christmas projects that need finishing up.
ReplyDeleteVery cute, and it looks like a great size.
ReplyDelete